Classical Voices

A forum for singers
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: This really sucks.
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:28 am 

Voice Type: contralto
To: Supporters of Aurora Opera Theatre and Opera Theatre of Northern Virginia

I write to inform you that the Board of Directors of Aurora Opera Theatre has voted to dissolve the company, effective July 1, 2011. The action has been taken due to growing financial difficulties over recent years caused by declining levels of ticket sales and financial support from individuals, foundations and government. In the past 18 months we instituted numerous steps to stem this trend, including trimming production costs and seeking to rejuvenate the company by renaming it and expanding promotion and fundraising. However, these efforts have not been successful and it has become clear that the company cannot continue in business.

Beginning in 1961 as the Arlington Opera Theatre, the company became Opera Theatre of Northern Virginia in 1967 and was renamed Aurora Opera Theatre in 2010. It is the second oldest professional opera company in the Washington area and the oldest ongoing opera company in Virginia. In our 50 year history the company has been a pioneer in opera education by providing special opera performances designed for children, beginning in 1973. We have also produced many infrequently performed operas by noted composers and offered several premieres. And, we have provided important opportunities for numerous young singers, some of whom have gone on to have international careers, including Jennifer Larmore, Alessandra Marc, Carl Tanner and Jason Stearns. We are proud of our legacy and believe we have made an important contribution to the cultural life of Northern Virginia and the greater Washington area.

The Aurora Board of Directors thanks you for your past support of the company. We hope that you will continue to support opera in the Washington area, particularly the many fine smaller companies that are seeking to provide quality opera productions at affordable prices and present opportunities for local singers to perform.

Sincerely,

Jean Shirhall

President, Aurora Opera Theatre Board of Directors

Sing - and singing - remember
Your song dies and changes
And is not here to-morrow.

- Carl Sandburg, "Languages"

Post subject: Re: This really sucks.
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:31 pm 

Location: Somewhere on the Left Coast (between Mexico & Canada, eh)
Voice Type: basic barinor/tenortone/freak of nature
Ow. :evil:

You won't find me disagreeing with you on that count, madame.
*sigh*....................

:(